Saturday, December 3, 2011

Better Late than Never!

Oh wow, it's been almost a month.  My goal when starting this blog was to try and post at least once a week.  I use to blog religiously (on another site), and it was always fun to go back and read what happened in the past and I really don't want to lose that.  So let's get started, shall we?

First up Veteran's Day.  I love this holiday...well, okay, who am I kidding?  I love just about every holiday.  But  Veteran's Day holds a special meaning to me for a lot of different reasons.  1- I still get goose bumps *every time* I hear the national anthem (in my opinion, the only thing better than a perfectly played/sung National Anthem is one that is done imperfectly by children); 2- some of my closest and/or oldest friends, including my husband, are currently serving; 3- I come from a long line of those who have served our country, and can in fact claim there has been or is currently someone in my family who has served in every branch of the military (well, except maybe Coast Guards); 4- I use to be in the Army myself, and loved every minute of it!  Plus, while I believe we should salute our troops every day, having a day specifically set aside for our men and women in uniform is a wonderful thing.  This year, Kade's 2nd grade class did a salute to our veterans.  It was adorable, they sang everything from the national anthem (it was beautiful) to "Proud to be an American".  In all, they probably sang over 10 songs...all from memory, while dressed in red, white, & blue.  On top of that, they asked that all current or former military members sit in the front two rows, and while playing each corps song, asked that we file on stage.  It was priceless to see how proud of me my son was for being up there, and then shouting out that his daddy was still in the army.  He was also especially proud of his "Thank You Veterans" card he made being hung on the front entrance of the school!  

Kade's class up on stage for their song!





Next up, Native Indian Night at Boy Scouts.  Unfortantely, I was not able to go because I had to go to a school function.  Luckily, Grammy was able to take Kade and Drew to their pack meeting...and from what I heard, everyone had a blast.  They listened to stories about Native Indians, learned how they lived, and were shown examples of how Native Indians used every piece of an animal that was killed.  Here are just a few of some of my favorite pictures Angie took (mom, I am so jealous of your camera...still).

Kade and Drew with their den




Warrior Drew


Warrior Kade

Kade and Drew with their friend Aiden



 Aside from all the organized activities for the month, the boys also had a blast enjoying a few of the warmer days outside with Grammy and Pa Pa while I worked on getting ahead in my classes for our trip to Ohio over Thanksgiving Break.
Drew with Kuddles
It is amazing how much fun kids can have with a wagon
I love this picture of Kade
 And that is going to have to be it for tonight, as I have spent way too much time on blogger and not enough time studying for my finals.  I'll be back later this week to do an update about what has been going on since then, to include our trip to Ohio for Thanksgiving, the Christmas Cookie extravaganza, and Christmas shopping.  Hope you all had a great weekend and it continues on to be a great week!

2 comments:

Angela said...

What a great summary of some of the latest events with Kade and Drew. You write so well and I always enjoy reading what you write.

Tammy and Ali-O said...

Thanks for sharing Meg. Your boys have such a sweet heart. You have so much to be proud of..

Love, Tammy